Cat found after being stolen, locked in cage and left to die

Trent Ernst, Editor


It was a couple weeks ago that Bella got out of the house again.

Bella frequently escaped, but rarely left the yard, but this time, she was nowhere to be found, and it made the Smith’s worried.

They went looking for their cat, but couldn’t find it. And, after a week of looking they gave up, thinking the cat had met up with a coyote, or been picked up by a cat lover and taken home.

However, says Calissa Smith, a recent Facebook post by Jenna Trudeau caught her interest. “We found [a] cat emaciated out by Flatbed Creek toward Quintette. You should be ashamed of yourself. We brought it home in its rusted carrier and gave it some food and water. If anyone knows who owned this cat please speak up. They deserve to be fined.”

Trudeau passed the cat on to local animal advocate Bailey Bailey, a friend of Smith’s. Smith wrote to Bailey, explaining that there cat had gone missing, and asked, “out of dreaded curiosity if she could see a picture. When she got the picture, she was “99 percent sure that it was Bella; she has very distinct eyes.”

Smith says she’s beyond upset. “Someone took our cat, abused her and then left her to die in this excruciating heat. They abandoned her outside of town—virtually in the middle of nowhere—trapped in a metal crate in +35°C weather,. There were signs of abuse and she was completely emaciated and dehydrated.”

The good news, says Smith, is that Bella is alive. The bad news is “she was suffering so much in that cage that she has done extensive damage to the roots of her front canines, trying to bite her way out of the metal bars.”

In an effort to pay the vet bills, Smith has turned to crowd funding, using the site GoFundMe. “Some very generous folks have already come forward and donated money to help with the costs of the emergency veterinary fees and exams—but she will need to have this damage taken care of.”

Smith says she’s raised almost $1200 with the support of friends, family and “my online community, all of which will be going towards Bella’s veterinary fees, procedures, transportation (she’s had to be taken from TR to Dawson, but the vet in Dawson can’t perform any extensive dental work on her until a much later date…so she’ll need to be brought back home for the weekend and then taken to the vet in Chetwynd on Monday) and anything she’ll need in the aftercare.”

Smith says the response from people to help out has been overwhelming. “It is stuff like this that can instill that little bit of faith back in humanity for you after something so disgusting has happened.”

Once all Bella’s bills are paid, any extra money will be donated to the SPCA and to Bailey to help care for other suffering animals.

According to Smith, there is a full investigation underway. “I hope they can catch this monster before anything else like this happens again. And if someone could do that to an animal, who knows what the next step is? It could be somebody’s child. That’s what’s really bothering me: that someone had it in them to do this sort of thing.”