Council Highlights

Policies and Priorities Committee Meeting Tuesday July 8th, 2008

In Attendance: Councillors Holmlund, White, and Schembri and Colledge (via phone).

Councillor Holmlund chaired the meeting

Official minutes for the meeting can be obtained from Town Hall.

1. Call to Order: 7:10pm

2. Approve Minutes from Policies and Priorities Committee Meeting of June 24th , 2008-adopted as presented

3. Business Arising from Minutes- none.

4. Review of Agenda-Item 12. Golf Course Update, Item 13. Adjourn

5. Revitalization Tax Exemption Program

Ray Proulx, Economic Development Officer, provided Council with two options to ponder over with regards to the Tax Exemption Program.

The first option is the development and implementation of the program before the calendar end of 2008.

The second option is the development and implementation of the program, for the receipt and processing of applications by October 31st, 2008.

Mr. Proulx provided Council with pros and cons for each option.

The pros for option one are: Adequate time for development discussion between Council and staff to establish a more innovative program that meets a wider base of objectives, a well-paced schedule equates to less chance of error, any input or direction brought by new Council will be more easily incorporated (would not have to rescind, revise and adopt again), existing priorities and projects could be properly addressed.

The Cons for option one are: Projects completed prior to October 2008 would not be included and new Council may take credit for directions set by previous Council.

The positives for option two are: Projects completed prior to October 2008 would be included and greater promotional lead time for 2009 construction season.

The cons are: potential sacrifice or compromise of existing projects and priorities, rushed developmental schedule equates to higher chance of program errors and the program, once in place, will likely have to change shortly after its adoption. Proulx wants Council to choose from one of the two options so that staff know which direction they are headed.

Comments/Questions:

Councillor White: ?What is the next step??

Proulx stated he would like each Councillor to choose a preferred option. Proulx also stated the bylaw will be relatively easy to draft once the targets and objectives have been confirmed.

Councillor Schembri: ?I feel torn?, stated Schembri. Schembri understands that pushing this through would be a big rush, but she feels bad for the people who want in on it this year.

Trevor Seibel explained that even if they push through with option two, by the time all the paperwork is done, the building season will almost be over.

Councillor Holmlund: ?Does the building have to take place after the bylaw is implemented??

Proulx explained that yes, the bylaw must be in place first.

Councillor Holmlund: ?I think there needs to be more discussion on the bylaw and what is going to be included?.

Councillor Colledge: ?When do we see this possibly being completed by??

Proulx explained that the time line will depend on when discussions can take place. The challenge will be getting everyone in the same room for the discussions. Most likely, this can be finished by the end of October explained Proulx.

All Councillors present are in favour of option one:

provide direction to have the revitalization tax exemption program developed and implemented before the calendar end of 2008.

6. Peace River Municipalities Association Meeting

Tumbler Ridge will be hosting the Peace River Municipalities Association Meeting on September 3rd, 2008. Ms. Isaak explained the dinner will be hosted at the Golf Course.

7. UBCM Ministry Meetings

The UBCM Conference is being held in Penticton this year from September 23-26th, 2008. As part of the annual conference, the Premier extends an invitation to Municipal Council to meet with the various Ministries to discuss issues of community importance.

Council has suggested there be meeting planned with the following Ministries: Education, Health, and Community Services.

Some areas of concern that have been identified by staff are:

funding for provincial parks,

upgrade of Murray River Forest Service Road to Kinuseo Falls,

Support for Senior Services

and Paleontological Site Designation Framework.

Any other ideas need to be submitted by August 8, 2008.

8. UBCM Registration

Councillors who will be attending the UBCM conference in Penticton must get their completed registration forms filled out and returned to Ms. Torraville by July 31st, 2008. This ensures Council will meet the early bird registration deadline of August 8th, 2008.

9. Draft Letter to Canada Post Re: Schedule Change for Hours of Service

The post office in Tumbler Ridge is hoping for a change in hours of service. Many residents are requesting the time change because shift schedules from working at the mines and other industry related jobs make it impossible for those residents to collect mail items that require signatures or parcels. The draft letter is addressed to Dee Peterson, the Superintendent of the mail processing plant. Support from Mayor and Council will be important for this change to occur. Council are happy with the draft letter as it is. It will go to the next regular meeting of Council for final approval.

10. 2010 Legacy update

Councillor White, chair of Spirit of BC committee, explained there are funds available to not-for-profit organizations for celebrations under the 2010 Legacy.

The Spirit of BC Committee helps these organizations obtain these funds. There will be a meeting to inform organizations on how to obtain these funds on July 16th, at 7pm in room 5 at the Community Centre.

11. Contractor Issues

Councillor White would like to send out a warning to homeowners who are seeking contractors for renovations. There have been two incidents recently where contractors have not performed as they said they would, one even left town. White warned, ?There are unscrupulous contractors. Do your homework and make sure they have a business license.?

Mr. Proulx added that the Northern BC Construction Association can also be very helpful to people who are looking at doing renovations.

12. Golf Course Update

Trevor Seibel, Chief Financial Officer, explained to Council that the last two weeks have been very busy for the golf course as there was a need to obtain enough kitchen staff so that Mr. Seibel could hold a more hands off position. There have been three chefs hired. One, Darren Lynn, is a Certified Cuisine Chef with over 20 years of experience. He has brought two other chefs with him. The goal is to have the restaurant open the same hours as the pro-shop, explained Seibel. Seibel stated he will still serve as general manager but Darren will be the new food service manager.

13. Adjourn: 7:50pm

Contact Information:

Northern BC Construction Association

3851 18th Avenue,

Prince George, Bc V2n 1b1

Phone: (250) 563-1744

Fax: (250) 563-1107

Email: Constctr@Nbcca.bc.ca

Website: www.nbcca.bc.ca