December 20, 2004 Present: Mayor Iles, Councillor Kirby, Councillor Colledge, Councillor McPherson, Councillor Way
1. Mayor Iles called the meeting to order at 7PM.
2. a) Minutes Approved for the Regular Meeting of Council of November 15, 2004. 4. Petitions and Delegations.
5. Petitions and Delegations: Councillor Way and TRSS Leadership Group-Christmas Light Up Campaign Awards. Presentations were made to the winners of the Christmas Light Up Campaign.
6. Correspondence: a) Cariboo Regional District, Re: Softwood Lumber, urging the Province to remain stalwart, and protect the future of our forest industries, as well as many communities. b) Blair Lekstrom, MLA Peace River South, Re: United Nations Award, congratulating Tumbler Ridge on this outstanding achievement. Tumbler Ridge has been and continues to be an inspiration to many other BC communities,? said Lekstrom. c) Honourable Bill Barisoff, Minister of Water, Land and Air Protection, Re: Funding for Bijoux Falls; the Ministry will provide funding for the continued operation of the park. d) Ida Chong, Minister of State for Women?s and Seniors? Services, Re: Seniors? Services Web Site, introducing the new Government Web site dedicated to Seniors? Services. This Web site can be accessed through the following address: http://www.mcaws.gov.bc.ca/seniors/index.htm.
7. Staff Reports: Motions were made to accept the following staff reports: a) Motion to accept the Chief Administrative Officer?s Report, December 20, 2004 as presented. b) Accounts Payable in the amount of $434,068.40 c) Public Works Department, November 2004 d) Fire Department, November, 2004 e) Community Services and f) Economic Development Department report, November, 2004.
8. Councillors Business: Councillor Colledge was involved in the Christmas Hamper Project and many other Christmas activities. Attended the Theatre on the Ridge/ Community Choir event, and the Emergency Planning Committee meeting. She also spoke at the 49 Forever meeting. Councillor McPherson was involved with the Food Hamper drive. Councillor Way would like to see some money put aside for some new decorations. Attended the Library Christmas/Volunteer Appreciation event. Attended the Christmas event in the Fireside lounge. Congratulations to Mrs. White and her piano students on a job well done. Councillor Kirby Attended a golf course meeting where the Winter Carnival was discussed. Attended the food hamper drive where $1500-1800 worth of food was collected. Brian Sipe commented that the response has been great this year. 39 hampers were put together in the Fire Hall. Approximately $5000 in cash was collected. Had another meeting with the Dentists who are looking at coming into town. Mayor Iles missed the Food drive as he was out of town on business. Offered thanks to Brian Sipe for the work he does on the Christmas Hampers. Attended a meeting in Victoria with the Ministry of Transportation, NEMI and Blair Lekstrom regarding the reinstallation of railroad track. CNR will put the track in if they are guaranteed to get the money underwritten. Hoping to see an agreement reached early in the New Year.
9. New Business a)Motion passed to grant a fee waiver of $118.80 +GST to cover the cost of the room 4 &5 rental for the Theatre on the Ridge and Community Choir event on Thursday December 16th ,and that this waiver come out of the Council grant account.
b) Motion made that Council officially adopt the new Tumbler Ridge logo and provide direction to staff to incorporate it into District materials from this point forward.
c) Motions made and passed, Mayor and CAO authorized to sign the contract: ?Smith Fuel Services? be awarded the Standing Offer Agreement #0501 for petroleum products and fuel for 2005
d) ?Brians?s Electric? be awarded the Standing Offer Agreement #0502 for electrical maintenance for 2005.
e) ?Joy Propane Ltd.? Be awarded the Standing Offer Agreement #0503 for propane services for 2005 and that the Mayor and Chief Administrative Officer be authorized to sign the contract.
f)Schedule of meetings.
9. Closed Meeting Items: Council resolved to a closed meeting of Council as per section 90 (1) (c) and (e) of the Community Charter.