Letter to the Editor

I keep pretty well up to date with TR by reading the online TR News every week. Lately there’s been a number of articles regarding bears and bear safety and being aware of the dangers. I though you may like to hear a story that hit very close to home for one long-term resident of TR. “At about 5:30 am on September 27th, 1997, George Rowe left for work at Quintette, leaving his wife, Sheila, son Stephen, daughter Corette and grand-daughter Rebecca sleeping at home. At that time home was the loft apartment above what was the Salvation Army building at 107 Commercial Park.

Shortly after George left someone had let the cat out for her morning romp in the woods. As usual, the patio door was left ajar to allow for the cat to “come home”. Unknown to the Rowe family a bear was lingering not too far from building in a near by bush. By 6:30 am the bear had found his way up the stairs and into the Rowe home. The bear was found by three year old Rebecca when she heard a noise and went to see who it was. Upon telling her grandmother that there was a bear in the house, Sheila was convinced that Rebecca had had a bad dream and took her to the living room to show her that there was no bear in the house. Much to Sheila’s surprise, Rebecca was not dreaming! Sheila quickly grabbed Rebecca ran to the bedroom, yelling at everyone else to stay in their rooms because there was a bear inside. Not knowing her strength, Sheila had managed to push her large dresser across the bedroom door. She opened a window and started screaming for help, all the while praying that someone would hear her, that someone would save their lives! Her prayers were indeed answered when a gentleman by the name of John walked was in the area. He had just happened to stop at the building where he worked before heading out for a hunting trip. Being an avid hunter John had his rifle in his truck. Finally understanding, through all the screaming, what was taking place, John loaded his gun and headed up the patio stairs. It seemed the bear had some how closed the door on himself when he entered the house. Each time John had tried to open the door the bear would stand on his hind legs and in his own language tell John he was not welcomed here. John finally realized that he would have to shoot through the glass door. Positioning his gun, taking aim, and I’m sure with a little prayer in his head, he fired, hitting the bear directly between the eyes! John may not think of himself as a hero but let me tell you, Sheila, Corette, Stephen and Rebecca certainly do.”

Stephanie Frenette