Medical Travel Aid Booklets (DINOHELPS)

Do you have to go to Dawson Creek, Fort St. John, Grande Prairie, Edmonton, Prince George, or Vancouver for medical reasons? It is a costly trip especially when you are under the stress of needing medical treatment. There are some sources of help to diminish costs.

Check out the web site: or contact Ellen Sager at 250-242-5283 or e-mail:

I have compiled information that may assist you in your travels. I will provide you with a hard copy booklet upon request.

Did you know that HOPE AIR is a charitable organization that will provide free flights (there is an administration fee of $50 for each person) for you and a companion? There are conditions including some time to arrange the flight. Did you know that Northern Health Connections provides bus service from many centers including Fort Nelson, Burns Lake, Quesnel, Prince George, Vancouver, and including Grande Prairie. There is a minimal charge; for example, Prince George to Vancouver is $40 return. From Tumbler Ridge there is the TR Cares van which has a Thursday trip to Dawson Creek but will take you to Chetwynd, Fort St. John and Grande Prairie free of charge if a volunteer driver is available. Both are terrific services of Northern Health.

Do you need assistance. Tumbler Ridge Lions Club can be contacted by Tumbler Ridge residents and I am sure in other centers there are similar organizations. Friends of Children in Prince George will assist in organization, perhaps financially when you have a child needing treatment. There are Easter Seal Houses operated by the Lions Clubs in Prince George and Vancouver.

How about accommodation. Well, in Prince George I just got the information that Ramada Downtown is offering a rate of $69 for medical reasons. There are lots of motels that offer medical rates. I have tried to check them out by phoning for verification each year. In Edmonton there are private homes that offer accommodation for perhaps $25/night or a donation. The cancer society list is available and many of the places will offer accommodation for conditions other than cancer. The Westin in Edmonton offers free accommodation for those having cancer treatment.

What else is there? I have tried to make sure that those without a computer can access the information with phone numbers. There are lots of links to societies like the Cancer Society. Did you know that you can go on the site and research the type of cancer you have. There is information on travelling with diabetes. There is a link to Medline that allows you to research your medication.

Booklets with the information have been produced and are available in the Tumbler Ridge Medical Clinic and counseling office. There is also a Word document available in the Seniors? Centre in Tumbler Ridge. Anyone can request my word document which has most of the information that is in the booklets but contains all destinations. Did you know that if you put a web site address or an e-mail address in your word document that you can right click and ?open hyperlink.? It works great.

If you have additional information, corrections, can provide accommodation at a reduced rate in your community, or wish hard copies of a booklet or the word document please contact me.

So you have a choice: hard copy booklets, web site:, or the word document of 69 pages.

Where did I get ?DINOHELPS.? Well, anyone that knows anything about Tumbler Ridge knows that there are dinosaur footprints and bones in the area so I needed a short name rather than Medical Travel Aid Booklets so DINOHELPS. You can Google medical travel aid booklets and you should find the site. Hope this will be of help.