I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself, Jerrilyn Schembri, your Chamber of Commerce manager for Tumbler Ridge.
Tumbler Ridge has been home to myself and my family for over twenty years and I am so excited to have this opportunity to work with local businesses.
For those of you who are currently members, thank you so much for being a Tumbler Ridge Chamber member, and for those who aren’t, I would like to encourage you to consider taking out a membership this year.
Your elected executive and I will be working to make this a very exciting year for the Chamber. I have many ideas and look forward to talking with you and hearing your ideas. Together we can build a strong chamber which will in turn support economic growth, making Tumbler Ridge the ideal community in which to live, work and play.
For businesses who are not physically located in Tumbler Ridge, a Chamber membership is a great way to be involved in the community you are doing business in.
But why should you join the Tumbler Ridge Chamber of Commerce?
While there are dozens of good reasons to join our Chamber, here is a summary of some key ones.
We are the only local organization with a strong mandate to enhance the economic prosperity of Tumbler Ridge.
We are here As a strong, united voice for businesses within our community, we advocate strenuously for improvements to the business environment, while working closely with local government to create economic opportunities.
With each of our Members, in turn, belonging to the BC Chamber of Commerce, we contribute to a 31,000-strong voice lobbying for improved business conditions on the Provincial and Federal levels.
Here are just a few of the initiatives the Tumbler Ridge Chamber of Commerce has been involved in this year:
- hosted the BC Hydro Job Fair and Business to Business sessions
- co-hosted the highly successful Lunch and Learn series with Community Futures
- hosted the District of Tumbler Ridge Job Fair
- hosted the Enbridge Breakfast
- brought in Still Standing the award winning CBC TV show
- partnered with the District of Tumbler Ridge to put on a 35th Birthday Party for the Community
- was successful in getting a Job Creation Partnership for the community, putting 15 individuals to work for 17 weeks.
A number of the many local benefits of belonging to the Tumbler Ridge Chamber of Commerce exist such as having your business cards/advertising racked at the Chamber of Commerce/Visitor Information Centre and networking opportunities. There is also a strong Provincial Benefits program which includes:
- Chamber learning network-discounts on work place training courses
- Chamber of Commerce Group Insurance Plan
- Constant Contacts-online tools
- Esso- Business Card Program
- First Data-Preferred Member Pricing on Merchant Services
- Hotel and Car Rental and Park n Fly discounts
- Payworks-online Payroll Solutions
- Petro Canada-SuperPass two cents per litre discount
- Purolator 25 percent volume discounts
- Shell- Triton Card and Esso Imperial Gas Card 3 cents per litre discount
- Staples Advantage
Finally, joining your local Chamber of Commerce establishes your operation as a community-minded business supporting the betterment of both economic conditions and everyone’s quality of life here in Tumbler Ridge.
As an organization, we work hard to encourage everyone to shop local. We sponsor a range of community events through the course of the year and our Members contribute to countless events held by other groups throughout our community.
The economic downturn has had huge impacts on businesses as well as the community. It is only by working together that we can bring about positive change.