Patrick, known to many as Dad, Poppy, Pad Joe, Paddy, and Pat was born in Harbour Round NF on August 15, 1932. Harbour Round is located in central Newfoundland and was a french fishing station in the early seventeenth century. The Newfoundland Directory of 1871 reports the Payne family as being one of the few families listed in the settlement. Those who knew Pat enjoyed his wonderful story telling skills and we would like to share his story

Born to John and Mary Payne (Hedderson). One of four children he grew up with one older sister (Mary), one older brother (Andrew) and one younger brother (Stanley). The family relocated to a neighboring community of Fleur De Lys when he was a young boy.

As a young man Pat got his license in 1949, the same year Newfoundland joined confederation. Pat began his working career operating equipment. It was in the early days when the first roads were constructed in the White Bay area. One of Pat?s first job?s consisted of delivering mail, people and groceries by bombardier in the winter months to the neighboring communities of Baie Verte, Coachman?s Cove, Pacquet and Woodstock. Pat was one of the first men to ride a snowmobile in the area. It was on one of these trips that Pat got stranded in a blizzard while transporting a body to a neighboring community, thus began his career with equipment. Pat also worked for a period of time in the forestry industry barging logs for BowWaters.

On St. Patrick?s day in 1952 Pat married his wife of fifty years Catherine (Kit) Downey. The parish church was located in Coachman?s Cove so the couple traveled via bombardier to the ceremony followed by a return trip to Baie Verte for the wedding reception. The newyleds settled in Baie Verte to begin their family. They started with their first child Reg and continued right up to the 14th child Robby born in 1971. At this time Pat was working in the Advocate Mines, an asbestos mine in Baie Verte as a shovel operator. The pressures of raising a large family and finding steady work forced Pat to head for the mainland to find stable employment.

In 1972 Pat found employment in a lead and zinc mine in Pine Point, NWT. Later that year Kit traveled across Canada from Newfoundland to the NWT with twelve of the kids (Pat always said that he was surprised Kit even talked to him after that trip!!). At that time the houses were still being built and the family lived in the neighboring community of Hay River until the house was built in Pine Point. Pat enjoyed his time in Pine Point with all of the family growing up in the community and expanding as the older children started families of their own. The three bedroom house on Martin Drive was filled to the rafters especially on a holiday or a Sunday afternoon as the kids would all come home for the weekly jigs dinner. Along with the good times there were challenges including Pat?s struggle with alcohol and the death of his son Derick in 1984. These times were tough for Pat but he persevered by taking a vow of sobriety. In the later years Pat enjoyed taking the younger kids to the various sporting events (hockey, baseball, broomball, and skating). Pat even took part in the NWT Senior Games traveling to (Inuvik) to compete in Darts. Pat continued to work at the Cominco Mines until it closed in 1987.

Following the closure of the mine Pat, Kit and their two youngest children settled in Tumbler Ridge BC where Pat was employed at the Quintette Mine as a shovel operator until his retirement in 1997. After retirement Pat remained in Tumbler Ridge focusing a lot of time on the grand kids living in the community and of course spending time at Sheila?s checking out his Keno numbers.

In 2002 his loving wife passed away. The years following Kit?s death were lonely times for Pat but he tried to make the best of it. In August of 2006 Pat was diagnosed with lung cancer and underwent chemotherapy. Pat had a brief period of remission at which time he traveled to visit family. It was while he was visiting his daughter in Nanaimo in May that he was told that the cancer had spread to his brain. Pat remained on Vancouver Island to receive treatments and returned back to Tumbler Ridge for a brief couple of days to spend time with his family. Pat passed away at the Dawson Creek and District Hospital on June 10, 2007 at 6:12 PM with his children at his side.

Pat leaves behind numerous children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews and friends who will continue to tell his stories.


The Family of Patrick Payne would like to thank everyone who phoned, sent flowers, cards, visits and any expression of sympathy during the loss of our Father and Poppy.

Thanks to the Catholic Women?s League for taking care of the lunch and to Father David for the wonderful service and prayers.

A special thanks to Dr. Helm, Barb Schuerkamp, Mary Frizzell and the homecare staff who provided care and support to Dad over the last year.

Your thoughtfulness and support will always be remembered.

The Payne Family