Tumbler Ridge Chamber of Commerce

TUMBLER RIDGE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

MINUTES February 15, 2005 TR Inn

Present: Executive Directors:

Brenda Banham

Harry Prosser

Liz Spence-Noble

Helen Scott

Directors

Mike Caisley

Gary Doonan

Sheila Illebrun

RaeLynn Johnson

Ed Kennedy

Wayne Kopec

Joanne Kirby

Karen Meyer

District Counselor Liaison:

Don McPherson

Absent: Les Cooper

Ellis Howard

Sheila Proehl

Walter Reid

Don McPherson

Guest(s): Tony Boos

Dean Johnson

Peter Thompson

1. 7:05 p.m. B. Banham called meeting to order.

2. Approval of minutes of the Tumbler Ridge Chamber of Commerce meeting January 24, 2005. Motion to accept minutes as they stand; J. Kirby, 2nd; S. Illebrun, Approved.

3. B. Banham informed table that she will be acting as President until L. Cooper returns in approximately 2 months.

4. $800.00 fees deducted from $15 000.00 for 2004 breakdown deferred. L. Spence to contact N. Black.

5. L. Spence confirmed cheques and applications for BC Chamber of Commerce and Canadian Chamber of Commerce memberships have been mailed. She will phone respective Chambers to see if they have received TR Chamber of Commerce monies and applications.

6. L. Spence reported that TR Chamber of Commerce information was submitted to Barton¹s for quote. Gear & Spice require an Annual report before they can proceed. Deferred to next mtg.

7. B. Banham reported on Thursday February 3, 2005 District Council and TR Chamber of Commerce meeting. It was a positive meeting, but the role between TR Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Booth location needs to be addressed. M. Caisley said D. McPherson couldn¹t attend today¹s meeting because of a prior commitment but would be available to discuss our involvement at next meeting.

$25 000.00 should be received in total and grant monies are a possibility but application deadlines are fast approaching.

Are wages, etc to be drawn from $25 000.00?

If we take over Tourism Booth, we understand the user fee is not in effect for 2005.

D. McPherson to clarify at next meeting.

K. Meyer queried the by-law surrounding lots purchased and the 2 year stipulation to build and develop; will the by-law be reinforced? E. Kennedy felt this was a Council issue.

M. Caisley and D. Johnson suggested we approach District on behalf of the Business Community to ensure issue in favor of gradual development as growth permits,

ie: phases 1 – 6 bays (begin with 1 or 2 bays and proceed gradually)

8. Handout: Goals and Objectives – presented by M. Caisley, E. Kennedy and B. Banham.

Overview: Up to committees and chairs to redefine, update and bring forward to table as required. Establish whether committee(s) are to be long or short term with time frame no longer than 1 year.

?Summary Comments¹ (see handout) – steps to achieve overview, objectives, goals.

– monies required

– assign cost within committee

– committee reps meet with FINANCE COMMITTEE to keep on track (referred to BUDGET COMMITTEE who determines whether all committees are over or under budget and adjust accordingly to keep a balanced budget). IF all ratified: go ahead with committees, recommendations, proposals and money. Committees left open to show they are in place and active if needed.

Mission Statement (finalized with motion to accept, x2, approved) November 22, 2004 Minutes.

³THE TUMBLER RIDGE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE IS A NON PROFIT ORGANIZATION WITH MEMBERS ENCOMPASSING BUSINESS LEADERS, PROFESSIONALS, RESIDENTS AND OTHER COMMUNITY GROUPS, WORKING TOGETHER WITH INTEGRITY, TO IMPROVE LOCAL BUSINESS AND LIFESTYLES, BUILD A STRONGER COMMUNITY AND CONTINUOUSLY IMPROVE AND MAINTAIN THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF PRIDE WITHIN OUR COMMUNITY.²

B. Banham¹s recommendation that all committees provide progress report at next meeting before initiating major membership drive.

9. Motion to appoint a FINANCE COMMITTEE; L. Spence-Noble (Chair), K. Meyer, E. Kennedy, made by H. Prosser, 2nd J. Kirby, Approved.

10. H. Scott confirming luncheon locations and will provide Calendar subject to approval at next meeting at which time it can be forwarded to TR News for Members and Non-members info.

H. Scott faxed A. Haapala list of Members and Notice for paper informing Members that A. Haapala should be contacted re: information on benefit packages. A. Haapala has tentatively volunteered to speak at next luncheon and answer any questions anyone may have. She would also like a calendar of meeting and times. L. Spence has faxed a VOID cheque and Account no. as the TR Chamber of Commerce receives a monthly deposit for any group signed up.

11. Committee Reports:

a) PREMISES COMMITTEE: W. Kopec (Chair), H Prosser Discussion regarding office location in the Tourism Booth and District¹s expectation, between Chamber, Tourism and Museum foundations. Clarification required: E. Kennedy indicated Museum contract in place until September/05. R. Johnson to talk to Rose College regarding Museum/Booth contract.

Motion to add J. Kirby to committee made, 2nd H. Scott, Approved.

b) PERSONNEL COMMITTEE: M. Caisley (Chair), E. Kennedy

Panel of: B. Banham, M. Caisley, K. Meyer to be on SELECTION COMMITTEE to Interview, Hire and Bring all in favor. Applications & Resumees turned over to committee.

c) TOURISM COMMITTEE: R. Johnson (Chair), G. Doonan, B. Banham R. Johnson, G. Doonan met with R. Proulx. Discussion of District to the Fort St. John Trade Show, Calgary Sports Show, reception for TR Chamber of Commerce participation in some capacity. Tentative date for April – Tourism Essential Workshop. Great marketing opportunity for interested Business(s). District is ready to accommodate Marketing and encourage attendance to workshop. J. Kirby suggested incorporating info into luncheon re: Tourism/Marketing and have small business share with District to share Advertising costs.

d) MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: M. Caisley (Chair), J. Kirby, B. Banham, G. Doonan, W. Kopec, S. Illerbrun Draft plan to draw people in for presentation re: Chamber of Commerce with handouts outlining goals, objectives and what Members have to gain. Identify obstacles ie; dissatisfied with previous Chamber of Commerce, dues with nothing to show. Demonstrate benefits of Membership ie; positive, new, improved. Determine major event ie; trade fair, casino, dance.

Recommendation 1: Dinner Theater with motivational speaker(s), dinner and dance to follow

– Speakers: Mayor, Chamber of Commerce President , Select representatives for

Business(s), RCMP

– Present slide shows, pics, power point ?what Chamber can do for new Members

– B. Banham provided handout: ?Facility Information¹ Sheet with seating, prices, etc.

– Based on 400 tickets to keep cost down

– J. Kirby stated motivational speaker, dance with D. Hooper as MC/entertainment

cost $8000.00 OR dinner/dance with Yuks/Yuks $2000.00 (90 min comedy) Recommendation 2: keep costs down, low risk financially, increase active participants, plan larger event. Event; Members Wine & Cheese to present new look, mission statement, power point presentation, M.C. to generate excitement with current members and reward them for coming on board, ask for suggestions and evaluate next steps.

– Discussion on contacting Members with invitation to attend

– Members only or have them bring one guest

– H. Scott suggested fee for Non-Members with reduced rate for Members, to promote advantage of being a Member and encourage potential clients to join.

– end March is AGM

Motion Made by H. Prosser to accept Recommendation 2; Members Wine and Cheese @ discretion of Membership Committee; Tentative Date: Monday March 14, @ Golf Course; MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE to report back; 2nd H. Scott, Approved.

e) COMMUNICATIONS COMMITTEE: R. Johnson (chair) R. Johnson is continuing as chair and if absent, H. Scott will forward information that is to be distributed via news and various media. H. Scott reported that approved minutes with President¹s signature are emailed to TR News after Monday meetings. The alternate week will be Notices, Information regarding upcoming events, pics, reminders, Chamber News.

H. Scott set up phone: (250) 242-0015 fax: (250) 242-0085 & answering machine @ TR Chamber of Commerce Office @ Tourism Booth.

PRIS Hi-speed internet; $ 30.00/month if purchase equipment, breakdown as follows:

$349.00 equipment purchase

$179.00 installation

$528.00

$ 36.96 GST

$ 36.96 PST

$601.92

$50.00/month if renting equipment. Chamber Office can access hi-speed so 2nd phone line isn¹t required for internet purposes.

f) T.R. DIRECTORY COMMITTEE: L. Spence-Noble (chair) L. Spence-Noble said R. Proulx of District has indicated $2500.00 is available to develop directory as fee for service subject to approval. BFWD

12. WINTERFEST PARADE: B. Banham stated that spectators had positive comments regarding the parade, as one of the hi-lites of Winterfest. It was recommended that Grizfest adopt the same route for their parade to keep people in the downtown core.

13. Correspondence: H. Scott received District of TR minutes, January 17/05 meeting; Peace Energy Information; BC Chamber Commerce ?Going Global¹ info.

14. Accounts to be paid: (3)

H. Scott verifying costs of Telus bill.

$328.45 rcpts for phone/fax/answering machine/paper/basic office supplies (H. Scott) $ 50.00 gift certificate reimbursement (L. Spence-Noble) Motion made by J. Kirby to reimburse H. Scott, L. Spence-Noble and investigate Telus bill further, 2nd R. Johnson, Approved.

15. H. Prosser stated that phone calls made confirm L. Cooper can remain as President. It was suggested that a card be signed by Directors and presented to L. Cooper upon his return in support and recognition of his service to the community. H. Scott will provide card for next meeting.

L. Spence-Noble received memberships with no monies. New members assumed they would be billed upon TR Chamber of Commerce¹s receipt of application(s). Invoice(s) will be initiated.

S. Illerbrun stated that Mel of ³Around Town² will provide Chamber of Commerce Free Ad on Front Page.

16. H. Prosser brought up concern of Pine Beetle. Recommended that Business Community act quickly and move forward and establish plan A.S.A.P. Submit letter to council to contact Ministry of forest to review area, seek professional advice and have council survey save our forest. An emergency plan to be formulated and revued. H. Prosser to draft initial letter with H. Scott to edit and submit to TR District Council.

17. POLICY & PROCEDURE MANUAL COMMITTEE established to revue FSJ sample and prepare TR Chamber of Commerce Policy & Procedure Manual. B. Banham (chair), L. Spence-Noble, S. Illerbrun

18. L. Spence-Noble distributed It¹s ³TAX TIME² Again, Wednesday March 2, 2005 with John Kurjata, CA 6:30 pm Tumbler Ridge campus $49.00 plus GST.

FSJ, Donald Smith will offer free advice re: Financial Statement for year end for AGM. Discussion to use and purchase Simply Accounting.

19. E. Howard requested discussion re: SIGNAGE for (3) locations leading into Tumbler Ridge. To be brought up between District and Commerce.

20. Tony contact through Bank of Montreal, N. Black, B. Banham, Realtors – to follow up re: CMHC issue.

21. Next Meeting: Monday, February 28th Moved to Tuesday March 1, 2005 due to request by J. Hill¹s office @ Sheila¹s Place.

11:00 – 12:00 TR Chamber of Commerce meeting 12:00 – 12:30 luncheon (CONFIRM lunch with Sheila by Friday February 25/05) 12:30 – 12:45 AnneMarie Haapala Presentation

12:45 – J. Hill Presentation

Q & A period to follow

22. 9:00 pm meeting was adjourned. Motion made by H. Scott, 2nd H. Prosser, Approved.

__________________________________

Brenda Banham – Vice President per

Les Cooper, President

/hs

Mission Statement: ³THE TUMBLER RIDGE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE IS A NON PROFIT ORGANIZATION WITH MEMBERS ENCOMPASSING BUSINESS LEADERS, PROFESSIONALS, RESIDENTS AND OTHER COMMUNITY GROUPS, WORKING TOGETHER WITH INTEGRITY, TO IMPROVE LOCAL BUSINESS AND LIFESTYLES, BUILD A STRONGER COMMUNITY AND CONTINUOUSLY IMPROVE AND MAINTAIN THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF PRIDE WITHIN OUR COMMUNITY.²