Tumbler Ridge Chamber of Commerce

TUMBLER RIDGE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

MINUTES

May 24, 2005

T.R. Golf Course

Present:Executive Directors:

Brenda Banham

Harry Prosser

Liz Spence-Noble

Helen Scott

Directors

RaeLynn Johnson

Joanne Kirby

Sheila Proehl

Speaker(s):

Absent:Les Cooper, Retired

Mike Caisley

Gary Doonan

Sheila Illebrun

Ed Kennedy

Wayne Kopec

Karen Meyer

Ellis Howard

Walter Reid

Don McPherson, District Counselor Liaison

Guest(s):Dean Johnson

12:30 – 1:00 p.m.Luncheon hosted by T.R. Golf Course

1.1:05 p.m. B. Banham called meeting to order.

2.Motion made by S. Proehl; to approve minutes of the Tumbler Ridge Chamber

of Commerce meeting May 9, 2005 as they stand; 2nd J. Kirby; Approved.

3.Canadian Association Home & Property Inspectors BC response letter to be

drafted by H. Scott, approved by B. Banham, then mailed.

4.Criteria for $250.00 Bursary pending. (H. Prosser to report next

meeting)

5.B. Banham reported that money from funds to golf course are not used to

subsidize the Restaurant as per discussion at latest Council meeting. S.

Proehl is waiting for requested breakdown of 2004 – 2005 budget. B. Banham to request meeting between Golf Course representative(s), Chamber of Commerce Executive and Council Representative(s) for May 25, 1:00 or 7:00 p.m. to discuss issue.

6.H. Prosser and S. Proehl to be added to signing authority at Lakeview

Credit Union.

7.H. Scott to email M. Caisley for copy of suggested fee structure

revisions for next meeting.

8.a)EVENTS COMMITTEE: J. Kirby (Chair), E. Howard, H. Scott

Career Fair Day CANCELED

GRIZ FEST Parade Sat July 30, 2005 @ 11:00 a.m.

Tentative: 1st Annual TR Chamber of Commerce Golf Tourney proposed by J.

Kirby. Fall Event: 4 ball best ball, glo ball, invite out of town Chambers, business class, non-member class, draw for Chamber members, BQ before Golf, prizes for best dressed team, raffles, fund raiser for Chamber with part of proceeds going to bursary/scholarship or Career Fair Day 2006.

b)FINANCE COMMITTEE: L. Spence-Noble (Chair), K. Meyer, E. Kennedy –

Nothing to report.

c)BUDGET COMMITTEE: Inactive

d)PREMISES COMMITTEE: W. Kopec (Chair), H Prosser, J. Kirby – Nothing to

report.

e)PERSONNEL COMMITTEE: M. Caisley (Chair), E. Kennedy, H. Scott – Nothing to report.

SELECTION COMMITTEE: Panel of: B. Banham, M. Caisley, K. Meyer

f)TOURISM COMMITTEE: R. Johnson (Chair), G. Doonan, B. Banham

?Be A Tourist In Your Own Town. June 10, 2005 – Chamber BQ Roman Walkway

-Discussion: BQ fund raising or non-profit event. 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.

purchase burgers and pop with ticket for wagon ride provided by G. Doonon

-Other possible activities; bike rodeo, skateboard demonstrations, face painting

-J. Kirby to contact M. Caisley to see if interested in Membership Committee table

-J. Kirby contacting Mrs. Begg who volunteered for phone calls to Membership; to be contacted re: volunteers for BQ – require at least 1 person with food safe ticket

-groups to oversee table, ie; red hat ladies

-S. Proehl in charge of pop, hamburgers (order required by Monday May

30/05)

-J. Kirby in charge of buns, condiments

Organizational meeting: June 3 @ 3:30 – Golf Course

g)MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: M. Caisley (Chair), J. Kirby, B. Banham, G.

Doonan, W. Kopec, S. Illerbrun

?Packages – Nothing to report

?Store Front Sign: TR Realty and a few other business(s) haven’t received signs

?Membership fees Outstanding: Invoiced – Cascade Realty (A. Boos)

Invoiced – Encana

h)COMMUNICATIONS COMMITTEE: R. Johnson (chair), J. Kirby, L. Funk, H.

Scott – Nothing to report.

i)T.R. DIRECTORY COMMITTEE: L. Spence-Noble (chair) – reported 2nd Quote

in and waiting for additional info to be compiled. Cost difference between quote 1 and 2 is $3000.00 for set up. District has requested only TR Business(s) Licensed be in directory. Discussion re: Ads @$40.00 members and $60.00 non-members. Suggested that directory be put on hold for HRDC applicant to do ourselves and a survey to business(s) license holders to see if directory will be supported.

j)POLICY & PROCEDURE MANUAL COMMITTEE: B. Banham (chair), L. Spence-Noble,

S. Illerbrun – Completed Business – Inactive

9.Correspondence:

INCOMING

-Letter of Support from Museum Foundation

OUTGOING

– TR Chamber of Commerce April 25, 2005 Minutes to: District TR Mayor & Council, TR News

– Fax RSVP to R. Proulx re:Murray River Forest Service Road Stakeholder Discussion Jun 8/05 @ 10:00 am; TR Town Hall. cc. H. Prosser, M. Caisley

10.Accounts to be paid: Nothing to report (approx $13 000.00 balance)

11.H. Prosser reported on Community Forest

– May 17th meeting; mandate to keep as much work in town

– $15 000.00 to contract for assessment , community awareness of surrounding forest

-Suggested that Chamber take on as a fee for service and provide:

– 2 page mailout re: community forest

– articles in local newspaper substantiating community forest both economic and environmental

– presentation(s) ie; high school, community centre

– Chamber to host Open House inviting: major licensee(s), Minister of Forestry representative(s), H. Prosser to keep public informed

– Agenda to next meeting

12.B. Banham met with HRDC representative and they didn’t see any problems arising with applications. M. Caisley reviewing and there will be a report back to table.

13.B. Banham to contact District re: $25 000.00 to TR Chamber.

14.H. Scott reported that S. Illerbrun phoned this a.m. to resign due to being out of town due to Health/Medical reasons.

15.May 30/05 AGM: CANCELED – Due to T.R. Chamber of Commerce being newly formed as of November/2004, proceed with executive and directors as is and plan January 2005 AGM to set Chamber on track. For positions to be filled due to resignations, appointments from the board to fill positions is acceptable. ie; President, Past President, Treasurer

16.GST $7.00 credit. Recommended that $7.00 be credited to next years membership instead of cheque(s) issued.

17.Premises to be revisited as we need location to store binders, office equipment as it accumulates and to hold committee meetings instead of peoples homes.

18.Next Meeting: Monday June 13, 2005 @ 7:00 pm NLC (242-5571)

19.B. Banham adjourned meeting at 2:42 p.m. Motioned/2nd/Approved.

__________________________________

Brenda Banham, Acting President

/hs

cc. Mayor Iles & Council

Mission Statement: ?THE TUMBLER RIDGE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE IS A NON PROFIT ORGANIZATION WITH MEMBERS ENCOMPASSING BUSINESS LEADERS, PROFESSIONALS, RESIDENTS AND OTHER COMMUNITY GROUPS, WORKING TOGETHER WITH INTEGRITY, TO IMPROVE LOCAL BUSINESS AND LIFESTYLES, BUILD A STRONGER COMMUNITY AND CONTINUOUSLY IMPROVE AND MAINTAIN THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF PRIDE WITHIN OUR COMMUNITY.?